Pic Courtesy : Jay Mehta
There are few things in this world which I find challenging to eat. Spinach Corn sandwich is one of them. But this one was good. The original recipe is from my sister in law, with few changes of my own.The stuffing went really well with German dark wheat bread. So in case you people are trying to make this, I would suggest you to make it with German dark wheat or Rye bread. Also, instead of using plain white sauce, I added some cream cheese to the base. It did enhance the flavor. Overall this was a good experience and if this is what a spinach corn sandwich tastes like, I am ready to add it to my frequent meal list. This is a good break from any of the routine Indian meals which are full of spices.
For white sauce
Garlic – 1 clove finely chopped
Onion – 1 small finely chopped
Corn starch – 1 tablespoon
Milk – 1 cup and 1/4 cup extra for mixing corn starch
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cream cheese – 1 tablespoonful
Butter 1 tablespoon (or enough to saute onion and garlic)
Baby spinach leaves – 1 cup
Frozen corn – 1/2 cup(If you are using fresh ones, make sure they are soft enough to bite easily)
Bread slices – 4
- In a nonstick pan, heat butter.
- Add onion and garlic. Saute till onion are tender.
- Reduce the flame to medium. Add milk. Keep stirring.
- In some extra cold milk, mix corn starch. Add that mixture to the pan.
- Keep stirring till it forms into a sauce consistency.
- Add cream cheese and mix well while hot.
- Add salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Let the mixture cool.
- Once at room temperature, add spinach and corn. Mix well.
- Toast slices of bread. Apply margarine/butter to the toasts.
- Divide the stuffing into two equal portions and sandwich it between the toasts.