There are various versions available for this particular combination. I came up with this particular one because of two reasons 1) My husband does not like broccoli much 2) I love broccoli. My husband will usually discourage the presence of broccoli at our home. And if by some means I succeed in getting one, he would procrastinate its use till the time it no longer remains fresh and interesting. Once in a while though I get a chance to use it not as a main ingredient but as one of the ingredients. So this thought of incorporating it into pesto itself. I made a fresh coarse pesto with broccoli, basil, garlic, and roasted peanuts. Again the taste was altered because most of the time a basil pesto will have pine nuts. I was just looking for some tweak in recipe and wanted to utilize available resources at home.
Well well well, this turned out great as complimented by hubby and here I am sharing the super-cool super-simple recipe.
Penne Pasta – 200 grams
Basil leaves – 12 to 15 large
Roasted peanuts – 6 to 8
Garlic cloves – 2
Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
Broccoli – 6-8 florets
Onion – 1 small finely chopped
Tomato sauce – a tablespoonful
Southwest mustard sauce – 3 to 4 drops
Salt to taste
Ground Black pepper to season
Grated Parmesan cheese.
- Start cooking pasta in a large pan of water till al dente.
- Meanwhile take basil, peanuts and garlic clove in a food processor and grind till it becomes a coarse paste.
- Remove the paste in a cup. Now add broccoli to the same food processor jar and grind to coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute the finely chopped onion.
- Add cooked pasta, basil paste, broccoli, salt to taste and black pepper.
- Add tomato paste, southwest mustard sauce. Mix well.
- Add Parmesan cheese and mix well. At the end drizzle a small amount of oil and mix well to give it a shiny look.